Skip to main content

Adding and subtracting

Over the past couple of months this house grew. The idea of a modest, 4 bed+ house around a spacious courtyard spawned the floorplans for a 6+ bedroom colossus, around an ever-decreasing courtyard. Some things (my office, the deck off the master) got smaller or deleted altogether. But then we started throwing on things like the o-furo, an outdoor workout space, a mudroom, a wine room with space to actually sit down, and more balconies and decks.

And then I got the fear. I was afraid we were creating a monster with many empty leaf-strewn balconies.  Since then we've ditched the o-furo and the outdoor workout space, plus several hundred square foot of balcony.

I think we're in a saner place now. It is now a 5 bedroom house with 2 living rooms (okay 3 if you count the library nook), 2 modest offices and a wine room. It's no Versailles, and although it does still look like quite a large house I'm confident we'll use every room. No redundant 'formal' dining room or sitting room here.

Here are the latest floor plans. (I think if you click on one, the image will open up in your browser and be easier to read.) Note that the wine room is now larger than my office. Nuff said.




Next steps - exterior elevations, i.e. sketches of the way the house from the outside. The Love of My Life is worried about how the front will look, with the first (second if you're American) floor overhanging the driveway and then stepping out above the front door and office to accommodate the master bed & bath. I am not worried - I'm just anxious to see those elevations so I can start dreaming about what to plant and where. Both of us just really want it to look friendly. I think you can do a lot with a strategically placed lemon tree. Watch this space.

Comments