Skip to main content

How to choose an architect


Can you choose an architect because they remind you of your friend Alan? Can you select an architect because they’re moving into your old gym and that gives you a good vibe? Can you select an architect because you liked his desk? Or his dog on Insta? Or because he described a plaster finish as ‘economical but poetic’? 
Can you rule out an architect because his office has ugly carpets and no natural light? I think so, on the basis that you don't go to a hairdresser with bad hair. Still, it all seems rather arbitrary.
Of course the best way to decide is to look at the work. But when we do, we post rationalize the ones we like, saying, ‘well I don’t like all that shingle but then again if we worked with him we’d just say ‘no shingle’ and I think they’d be fine with that’.
I was very keen on the hot young ambitious firm. I hoped would have a price tag that reflected their inexperience and enthusiasm – but sadly not. Their cost was twice what we’d imagined we’d spend.
My husband preferred the chilled out guy who’s been designing South Bay homes for 20 years. I like the less expensive, more pragmatic, local design build firm - but my husband is worried I'm being penny-wise, pound-foolish.
Maybe if we spend a little more on architecture we'll benefit from some kind of visionary brilliance that will make our low budget materials read like beautifully austere finishes. Or maybe we’ll just have gone $60k over budget before we’ve even started designing.
Meanwhile, Penelope and I are debating the merits of simple white boxes versus ornate castles.

Her design is in the background. My modest contemporary structure is in the foreground. And who knows what my husband wants. Many hours on Pinterest may help with that.

Can we find an architect who can build a house that makes everyone's dreams come true?

----------------------

PS If you're interested, these are the firms we are considering:
...don't be alarmed by the preponderance of Coastal Contemporary blah. That's just how most new houses look around here. Ours won't.

Comments